Sunday, November 2, 2008

Laying Down Disappointment

What was heard and seen in dreams
Makes no bond with waking life.
Come chase me, it beckons after waking.
It's fruition being so tempting, I do chase it.
Daydreaming, it reinforces the certainty of the 
Dream becoming real. Follow that.
I followed it so far, until I didn't know where
To go. But here I am, I shouted.
Where are you, dream? Nothing is like I 
Saw. And then the dream speaks: "I have 
No obligation to you but to set fire to 
Your woodpile. And I will not be easy 
To guess. I will not tie my hands with
Literal rope. Seek me, I tell you. I 
Will not lead you wrong. But I shall not
Subject myself to your understanding of me.
It is you who must open your eyes. The road
Has never been narrow. But I make 
No demands. Keep seeking." And so I
Throw the torch I held to light my way
Thus far into the flowing stream. Eyes closed.
I started walking. It wasn't long before I found
Myself in a ditch. But that, too, is part of 
Dreaming. And I am so full of feeling. So
Hungry and wanting. So open mouthed to 
Feed. Take the wider view.

No comments: