Sunday, August 31, 2008

Midnight Dancing All Through The Day

They met in the park, doing the equivalent of two dogs sniffing each others' arse ends, barely able to contain their mutual excitement. Besides just sniffing, people toss glances, smile willingly and display some wild variety of body language, all at the meeting and appraisal of that other person they're with. In the case of love, or love hoped for, the approach and method of sniffing a particular individual must continually be refined. Some throw the force of whatever they may be right out into the open. All at once. Often that approach is overwhelming, so a paring down is needed.

"Hello." Tiffany twinkled.
"I remember you from before." Allen shuffled.
"Didn't I see you sitting in a booth last Saturday? Who was with you? I didn't see anyone." Tiffany was already on to something.
"I wasn't with anyone. Well, I was kind of waiting for someone."
"Who."
"I don't know. Someone might have sat there."
"But no one in particular?"
"No. It would have been interesting for a stranger to have sat there."
"I agree. Where are you from?"
"You know, I don't know, but you know that song Sweet Caroline by Neil? I can't remember a moment of my womb-time without having heard that song. It's rather a natural part of my thinking process by now. It helps me focus and work out answers. If I can't get what I want right away, the song kind of stands for the noise of my brain processing."
"Wow. I don't think I'll ever have a favorite song. Maybe some old suite or fiddle breakdown."
"And now I don't remember you from before. You seem entirely different."
"I'm inclined to be different nearly every day. I don't like to talk a lot. Do you mind if we just sit here for a while?"
"Sure."

She motioned to a spot in the grass. He watched her sit down first, and then he did a sort of backwards roll beginning on his rear and landing on his back. Two leaves dropped slowly. Both noticed this but were entirely unaware of the child riding without training wheels for the first time in the park below them. They would have liked to have seen that. The child would have enjoyed their encouragement.

He couldn't freeze time, and she couldn't make time tread more slowly or less conspicuously. Time was busy wasting itself. Rattling off its own counter and leading us to who knows where.

He tapped the bit of grass across from his hip on his left side. She kept the time in her head and imagined bongo accompaniment.

"Hmmmmmm." He breathed.
"You're exactly right," she murmured.

No comments: